Tuesday, April 9, 2013

CHALKBOARD love

So lately I have been running around Las Vegas looking for an old picture frame or something that I could turn into a message chalkboard. I'd been having no such luck until I finally found old cabinet doors at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but since it was only $4, I bought it and figured I'd give it a shot. Gosh what a steal- it worked!

First I got my area all set up to paint. I already had paint brushes and an off-white paint back from when I painted my night stands so I only had to buy the chalkboard paint and chalk. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying the Valspar Chalkboard Paint and Crayola Chalk from Michael's.


After I sanded the whole front of the cabinet, I decided to paint the inside first since that was most important and would need the most coats. Below you will see a picture after one coat. Needless to say, it took many.

Once I felt like it was thick and black enough, I started on the outside frame. This took a steady hand and quite a while, but mostly patience (something I do not possess).

As soon as I finished and waited (patiently*) for everything to dry, I went straight for the chalk and started on my first masterpiece! What do you think?

I absolutely love it! I hung it up next to my front door, facing the living room so that it is in a noticeable location. This project was super easy and will be useful for a very long time. I got all my inspiration from another blogger over at Little Baby Garvin. She is obsessed with her chalkboard and draws the most adorable sayings for every occasion! 

In parting, I'm going to leave you with a picture of my little helper for the day. I had to put Shiner upstairs while there was wet paint but with Ms. Lennon there was no need. She supervised while I did all the hard work. :)

No comments: