Friday, June 29, 2012

Home Makeover.

Hello my little Bloglets! Sorry it's been so long! To make it up, I'm going to give you something that you'll be able to enjoy for a couple weeks! All my Home Makeover plans and ideas! That way, you can keep coming back to see my updates! Don't sound too excited now ;)

Most of my ideas came from, yep, you guessed it, Pinterest! Seriously though, if you haven't checked it out, you're missing out. Below are pictures of random pieces of furniture that I have accumulated since being in Las Vegas. All from Craigslist. All I got for a dirt cheap. I must admit beforehand they are quite hideous. BUT, I simply see them as diamonds in the rough! Thanks to Pinterest, I will be able to paint a little here, touch-up a little there and BAM they will be gorgeous masterpieces! 

To begin, I'll let you know that I live in a townhome with the living room, kitchen and eating area downstairs, and my bedroom and bathroom upstairs. I think it seems more like a loft because I don't have a door to close off my room once you are upstairs but I like it that way, gives it more character. The upstairs is my concern (mostly) right now, but I also have some work to do downstairs.

The first piece I want to discuss is the CUTEST and most perfect little corner shelf ever! It was only $10 and it fits perfectly next to my bathroom. I absolutely love how the posts are carved- it gives it an antique-ish feel! There's not much sitting on it yet because I haven't decided how I want to arrange things on it yet.


The next piece I want to discuss is actually a duo. My Nightstands. I got them BOTH for only $10 and I think they are 100% adorable. And I mean the pinch-your-grandson-on-the-cheeks adorable! I love their pointy little feet. :) I'm only posting a picture of one since they are identical twins.

Third, are lamps. They also are identical twins which I think is perfect to sit on my identical nightstands. I got both them for $30 which for lamps, and judging by their size, I think is pretty darn good. Right now they are a sage green which doesn't fit into my color scheme so I plan on repainting them and sprucing up the boring white lampshades.


Fourth is not a piece of furniture but rather a project I mentioned in an earlier blog that I wanted to update y'all on. I have a very bare, white wall that needs disguising so I decided I wanted to create a collage. I haven't collected too much, but what I have so far I love. Some old, some new, but all meaningful.

Moving on downstairs, I don't have nearly as much but there are a few things I want to take care of. First is my dining table. Yes, just a table, no chairs, or stools should I say. Since I have a dog that is probably 5 feet tall when standing on his back legs, I always told myself I wanted a pub height table so there was no way he could eat food off the table (even though I taught him better than that) or beg for food. Well I loved the table, but the stools were stools. No back support. That I didn't like so I convinced the guy to sell me just the table for only $45. This was a big purchase but the table is worth it. Solid wood and very sturdy/strong. Now I just have to find the right bar chairs to go with it. The color isn't my favorite so it will need some painting as well as everything else in my home.

Next is a purchase I haven't made yet, but will be this weekend (hopefully) for only $20. It's a little beat up, but pending my inspection, I'm sure I will still buy it. I love the design/shape of it for an entertainment center. I plan on painting it and buying cute little handles from Hobby Lobby to replace the present one and its missing counterpart.  Let's just hope its big enough, this picture makes it look a little smaller than I would want...

The last thing on my Home Makeover list is more of a sore spot to fix in my kitchen. Upon moving in, I had to purchase my own microwave. Originally, my townhome was supposed to have a shelf built-in above the sink to hold it but of course, it doesn't. So now I have a microwave on my counter and a big awkward space above my sink. I have a few ideas on how to fix it, and I'm hoping they will turn out great!

Oh wait, do you see what I see? Why yes, that is my washer and dryer, in the middle of my kitchen/eating area, next to my big awkward hole. Talk about ugly. So as if the awkward area above my sink wasn't enough, I also have an ugly tube running from my ceiling to my washer/dryer and a giant stacked appliance. Ugh drives me insane. Take a look.

Oh yeah. I live with this. The only ideas I have for making it less of an eye sore are to cover the vent tube with something a similar brown as the walls, and then placing something big on top. Maybe a vase or two? I'm not a huge fan of the fake greenery but I suppose that would work too.

Boy do I have a lot of work to do! But I'm definitely ready to get my place looking good! Please, Please, Please, comment if you have ANY suggestions on what I should do with my kitchen fiasco or anything else you'd like to offer! Other than that, I'll keep y'all posted, paintbrush in hand.


5 comments:

Antique Furniture said...

interesting post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information particularly the last section I maintain such information a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you for the wonderful information.

Regards,
Kelly

Tracy. said...

Thank you so much Kelly! Make sure you keep checking back as I makeover each piece of furniture! :) I look forward to your comments!

Enita said...

I love your blog! I think you should put a shelf in the awkward open space in your kitchen and place items such as sugar/flour canisters or similar sized decorative pieces that will hide the cord. Secondly, I would wait to paint or re-finish the pub table (which I love) until you have purchased stools. Now, do not become obsessed about finding a "set" of stools, but rather keep your eye out for one at a time until you have 4-6 that you love each unique in their own way. Then you can tie the whole thing together by using a matching "pop" of color for the seat cushions of the stools and a coordinating treatment of the table to tie it all together! Fab!

Tracy. said...

Enita, we definitely are related! I was thinking of a shelf for above the sink also! But I never thought of the flour/sugar idea, I was thinking a recipe book on a picture frame easel and then maybe fancy oil and vinegar jars! As far as the dining table, I agree with you as well. Its a VERY tall table so it is hard to find any that are actually the right height so finding a set would be challenging! Thanks for your ideas! :)

Enita said...

Oh - love the cookbook on a stand and oil/vinegar bottles idea much better. Canisters are so 70's....I should have known better.